Job Posting: Income Assistance Legal Advocate
Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) is seeking a temporary, full-time Legal Advocate in the Income Assistance Legal Advocacy Project. This is a four-month contract position, January – April 2017.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Provide legal information and summary advice to applicants and recipients of income assistance and provincial disability benefits concerning their rights, responsibilities and entitlements under the relevant legislation.
- Provide legal advocacy for applicants and recipients of income assistance through negotiation with the staff of the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, the preparation of oral and written submissions, and appearances at hearings before the Employment and Assistance Appeal Tribunal.
- Provide public legal education presentations to community organizations concerning income assistance rights, responsibilities and entitlements.
- Prepare activity reports to the funders of this position and TAPS Executive Director.
Skills and Abilities
- Be highly organized and able to manage a diverse and busy case load;
- Knowledge of (or the ability to learn quickly) all legislation pertaining to income assistance and provincial disability benefits and the administrative process for resolving disputes under the relevant legislation.
- Excellent negotiation and advocacy skills
- Have a positive and non-judgmental attitude towards people in poverty
- Work independently in a busy and, at times, stressful environment;
- Analyze complex information and prioritize effectively;
- Excellent communication and writing skills relating to submissions and other documents required for legal advocacy work;
*TAPS encourages applications from a wide range of candidates including people of indigenous ancestry, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities
Application Deadline: December 09th, 2016
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample (max. 3 pages) – one single pdf preferred - to:
TAPS - #302 – 895 Fort St., Victoria, BC V8W 1H7 or e-mail: email@example.com
ATTN: Kelly Newhook, Executive Director